About the Staff
- Do you like your tour guide?
- Do other team members acknowledge you? Do they strike up a conversation when appropriate?
- Are they engaging with the residents?
- How much training do team members have?
- Is there specialized training if they care for someone with memory loss?
- What’s the ratio of staff to residents?
- How many staffers are on duty overnight?
- What’s the staff turnover rate?
- Is an initial assessment of needs conducted and a written care plan developed? Who’s involved in developing the care plan? How often are the needs reassessed?
- What specific care is available from doctors, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and others?
- What additional services are available if the needs of your parent changes?
- Are couples able to stay together even if they have different care needs?
- At what point would your loved one have to consider a move somewhere else?
About the Community
- How many living units are in the residence?
- What types of apartments are available? Are the rooms large enough for your loved one’s needs?
- Are there kitchens or kitchenettes?
- Are there enough common areas, such as dens and living rooms?
- Is the community pet-friendly?
- Do they offer short-term respite stays so your loved one can give the community a try?
- Is the community locked at a certain time in the evening/night?
- Do rooms and bathrooms have handrails and call buttons?
- How does your parent call for help if they need something?
- Are there security and fire safety systems?
- Is there an emergency generator or alternate power source?
- Are there any concerns about the neighborhood the community is in? If so, how are these addressed?
- Is there a posted, varied schedule of activities?
- Are there activities that you think your loved one would participate in?
- How often are off-site outings offered?
- Are there any additional costs for certain activities?
- How are residents reminded of daily activities?
- Can the community cater to specific dietary needs or special requests?
- Do the residents seem to like the food?
- If you are visiting during a meal, is the aroma pleasant?
- Is there a diverse menu offered?
- What is the monthly cost per apartment type?
- Are all services included in the monthly fee? If not, what and how much are additional services?
- Are transportation services provided? Is there a parking fee for residents?
- Is care priced separately? If so, how is it priced?
About the Contract
- Under what conditions would a resident have to leave the residence?
- Is a contract available that details fees, services, and admission and discharge policies?